“Dispersion: A 10-Minute Play Festival” will be performed at 8 p.m. Thursday, March 30, Friday, March 31, and Saturday, April 1, in the Blackbox Theatre on the Thousand Oaks campus. A matinee will be presented at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 2.
The 15 seniors in the capstone class, which includes students majoring or minoring in theater arts, created Ghostlight Productions to handle all aspects of production including budget, design and publicity as a bridge between academic theater and the real world. Students are directing each of the nine 10-minute plays and two of plays were written by students.
- Mindi Carpenter of Westlake Village directs “Career Path.” Kevin Repich of Simi Valley wrote the play about a movie theater usher’s first day on the job.
- Leah Dalrymple of Simi Valley directs “Empty,” a play about a family packing up a house after a father’s death. It was written by Carly Crocker of Ojai.
- In the comedy “Flooding” directed by Repich, two characters facing their strange phobias together in a focus group attempt a first date. Touching hilarity ensues.
- In “Broken Hearts,” directed by Kaitlin Ruby of Scottsdale, Arizona, a woman visits her granddaughter in limbo from the afterlife and tells her what she needs to hear.
- “Making the Call,” a dark comedy about a Secret Service agent who offers a citizen a chance to blackmail the president, is directed by Allie Yannetti of Woodland Hills.
- “Gave Her the Eye” is directed by Cecilia Lindgren of Thousand Oaks. On a first date, a guy confesses his fear that invading aliens turned him into a cyborg.
- In “Gray Matter,” a woman waiting at a police station makes assumptions that reveal her underlying biases. Christopher Baldwin of Moreno Valley directs.
- Carina McVeigh of Palmdale directs “Come into the Garden, Maud.” Confusion and danger abound when a woman tries to find the owner of a cat she finds in her garden.
- “Favorite Lady” is directed by Annika Dybevik of Issaquah, Washington. A character admits stealing a piece of art to friends. Comedy follows as they decide the next step.